For all of those who want to learn a language but don’t know where to start, need extra help as you learn it, or if you’re just bored. These are the resources I’ve gathered over the last few months (feel free to add to it!)
General sites with grammar/sounds/pronunciation for a wide variety of languages
- My Languages
- BBC Language
- How to Learn Any Language
- Effective Language Learning
- The Polyglot Project
More specific sites, targeted at one language
- German here and here
- Spanish here and here
- French here here and here
- Italian here and here
- Japanese here
- Chinese here and here
- Korean here and here
- Vietnamese here
For all ya’ll auditory learners
-also, foreign language mixes on 8tracks
- some german ones
- a few spanish ones
- some french mixes
- some italian mixes
- some russian mixes
- some mandarin mixes
- some japanese mixes
Interactive language-exchanging sites where you can make friends and meet natives wOWie
Tips, advice, and motivation to give you that extra push
- 5 Tips to Get You Started
- a blog on language-hacking tips
- have some motivational videos that provide language courses (Speak from Day 1 and Pimsleur Approach)
- 6 ways to roll your r
- another language blog
For those interested in linguistics, here are 15 interesting articles on the field
i’ve found quite a few resources for irish gaelic, a really beautiful but complex language that you can challenge yourself to learn
- linguistic facts about the language and some study tips
- here’s an online radio
- pronunciation and a youtube channel
- Irish Language Today
If i find more content, I’ll edit this and add it right away. Good luck and have fun!
Some of this stuff and more found here in my resources post :D
Resources are da best because then you can’t use it as an excuse not to learn a language :3
They seized the opportunity, and slam dunked it so fucking hard
My classmates tell me my method is revolutionary, so I present it for your benefit. No guarantees for science papers (sorry).
- Pick your topic.
- Find books and articles on your topic. Do this at the actual library.
- Bring your references home. Start googling. You are not using Google to find you sources, but to find the right content within your primary sources. So, for example, I am currently writing a paper on Justin Martyr and inclusivism. I googled “Justin Martyr inclusivism” and was immediately presented with quotes which directed me to the relevant portions of his work. This cuts down on unnecessary reading time extensively.
- Fire up Amazon. Search for your secondary sources which are books on Amazon. Many of them will offer the “look inside” option. Use this to search for terms and names key to your topic. Even if you cannot view the results in the preview, you will get the page number and, again, will save a serious amount of time.
- Use to do the same thing with any books or articles which are not available to “look inside” on Amazon. Add “pdf” to your search of the work’s title for better results. If you don’t have very many good results, also be sure to use the index.
- Whenever you find a relevant quote or passage in a given work, mark it in your physical copy with a little post-it note. Read the surrounding paragraphs to see if they have other relevant info.
- Once you’ve put all your post-it notes in a given work, go back through and type (or copy from PDFs you found online) each relevant quote or fact. Put in your footnotes as you go; and sort your quotes into broad categories. When you are done, you will have a Word document with every quote and fact you need to reference in your paper. Your citations will be already done for you, and you will have familiarized yourself with your topic in the process.
- Now, take the assignment you were given. Use it to make an outline of your paper. Be detailed. Your outline should be at least a page long for every eight pages of paper you have to write. If you can make it even longer, do it. The current paper I’m writing is eight to ten pages; my outline was three pages; I just have to fill in the blanks.
- If your paper is longer than fifteen pages, drop the sources quotes in the outline as you go. Expect a very long outline.
- Now, write your paper. You have already done the bulk of the work, and this part will go very quickly. For total time, from research to final edits, anticipate about one hour per page for A-quality writing at a Master’s level of research. And you’re done.
That’s some good advice.
You are the worst person.
You can be a vegan and whine at people, thats hurting nobody but when you tell people to not take vaccines, you’re endangering public health.
If YOU mixed mercury, aluminium phosphate, ammonium sulfate, formaldehyde and viruses and injected it into someone, you’d kill someone because you have no pharmacological experience.
If someone in a lab mixed those together, they know how they work, they have medically assessed and peer reviewed evidence and strict guidelines to follow to create a safe and effective product. Why is it legal? Because they know what they’re doing and know how to spell “phosphate” and “ammonium”.
Why don’t YOU educate yourself instead of subscribing to the notion that all scientists are evil and want to poison you are your natural, vegan lifestyle. I say this as a fucking IMMUNOLOGIST, you are single handedly responsible for the skyrocketing resurgence of deaths caused by TB, measles and the worrying prospect of smallpox returning.
Let’s break this one down and give you some education.
- Mercury is an element in the compound thiomersal which was part of many vaccines. It has been claimed with NO tangible evidence other than a multifaceted correlation that thiomersals cause autism. This has been investigated thoroughly and no causal link has been found.
- Aluminium phosphate is an aluminium salt which is used as an adjuvant in vaccines. An adjuvant is a compound which causes an immune response to be higher and stronger, so that the immune system comes into contact with the attenuated virus more, so that it can recognise the antigens of the virus and provide immunity. They are a necessary part of the vaccine if you want it to work well.
- Ammonium sulfate is used in the process of purifying the proteins in the synthesis of a vaccine. It is also found in bread and flour, so you’d better learn to enjoy rice if you want to avoid it.
- Formaldehyde is used in the treatment and purification of vaccines and stops contamination. Most of this is removed before the vaccines is shipped, although some remains.
In my personal and scientifically backed opinion, the war against disease is a hundred fold more important than the mum-led war against vaccines. Do you want your child to die a slow, painful, agonising death? If not, then shut the fuck up with your so called “facts” you got from Yahoo Answers and get your kid vaccinated.
I am going to sound derogatory, but if you don’t have formal education in at least biology, you have no role to talk about the way vaccines should be done. You have no idea of the actual function and mechanism in which they work, and you have is a vague knowledge that mercury used to make people mad, formaldehyde is used in embalming and that ammonium sulfate and aluminium phosphate sound scary.
Vaccinate your kids if you want them to live. End of. If you don’t then you clearly don’t love your kids and would prefer to see them die of completely preventable diseases.
This has been a rage filled, alcohol induced response from a scientist.
bookmaking this to post on Facebook later
Yeah. no. The diseases we vaccinate against are horrible and can be fatal. Not just for your child that you refuse to vaccinate but vulnerable children who can’t be immunized or have compromised immune systems. Don’t be an asshat. Vaccinate your kids.
vaccinate your fucking kids
vaccinate your fucking pets
vaccinate your fucking self
I hate vaccine denialists with a violent, burning passion. The very premise indicates a complete and utter lack of understanding of how the thing they’re railing against works, and an even more complete lack of understanding of the severity of the diseases they’re blissfully supporting the spread of.
The first vaccine was the deliberate infection of someone with cowpox to avoid smallpox. If you get it, you will get a nasty lesion, and it often leaves a permanent scar. It has never been cleared for pregnant women and can mess you up bad if your immune system is weakened, and according to data from the 60s about .1% of people had a very severe reaction to it. A few died. Oh noes, so scary, they’re injecting live viruses into innocent kids, and there’s phenol in it, ZOMG THAT COMES FROM COAL TAR AND CAN GIVE YOU CHEMICAL BURNS. To this day, it’s one of the most dangerous vaccines.
Thing is? It’s still one hell of a lot less dangerous than smallpox.
You’ll be sick. It’ll hurt you. If you’re unlucky, it might hurt you pretty badly. If you’re really unlucky- about a one in a million chance (this is not a figure of speech, that is actually the number)- you might even die. All of which suck. But they suck quite a lot less than a disease that has anywhere from a 20-60% mortality rate in healthy adults, and upwards of 80% in infants. In the late 1700s, it was killing around 400,000 people annually in Europe, and a third of survivors were permanently blinded.
And thanks to that scary vaccine, it is now completely extinct in the wild.
"But that’s different!" you might say. "We’re not talking about that vaccine! Smallpox is way more dangerous!" So we’ll humor you, Vaccine Denier, and look at MMR instead.
It protects against three diseases: Measles, mumps, and rubella. Measles is the big one: A study in 1931 found a 2% mortality rate in normal infections, with a 32% mortality rate in cases that led to pneumonia. An outbreak in Fiji in 1875 killed 1/3 of the entire population. Nowadays, the mortality rate for it tends to be about .1% in developed countries, but as high as 10% when malnutrition and lack of access to medical care is an issue. Mumps won’t kill you, but the older you are the more likely it is to make you absolutely miserable, and it has a nasty habit of causing dudes’ balls to shrivel up (I’m not kidding, it literally does that), on occasion resulting in sterility. Rubella, a.k.a. German measles, is relatively innocuous in most people, but the effect it has on children whose mothers were infected during pregnancy is bad enough to make up for it.
As a result of the MMR vaccine, the incidence of measles has gone from “you will get it at some point in your life, period” to “almost nonexistent.” Back before the vaccine was introduced, 200,000 cases in a year in the US was an incredibly good year. The population of the US in 1950 was about half what it is now, so if that incidence was the case today, we’d be looking at at least 400 measles deaths a year in the US alone. If we assume the same incidence and survival rate everywhere in the world that we’d have in the US (haha no), that works out to 7.2 billion people worldwide * 4 measles deaths/3 million people = 9600 deaths annually, even with the best medical care currently available.
How many deaths are you attributing to MMR, again? Oh, wait, none.
"It causes autism!"
If you refuse to get your kid a MMR vaccination and they don’t get measles, you better thank everyone around you who isn’t a scientifically-illiterate vaccine-denying dumbass, because they’re the only reason your child isn’t suffering for your ignorance.
But I suppose this is getting quite tl;dr, so I will sum it up: If you agree with the original image, you have no idea what you’re talking about and I will kick you in the fucking head.
P.S. Have another link~.
Reblogging for commentary.
Pardon the brief dip into the gaming world for a moment here, but this — a part of the configuration screen from WildStar Online — is incredibly important.
I’ve been playing MMOs for 14 years now. I’ve worked with game developers, including one who’s color-blind. Even in his own games, he couldn’t tell what colors enemies were (colors would tell you if an enemy was significantly weaker/stronger than your character) or even simple things, like the color of his character’s own hair.
(I remember one conversation where he talked about making a night elf with “gorgeous dark skin and silver hair”. His character’s skin was actually purple, and his hair was teal.)
But this? This is a configuration open for combat that will customize enemy level displays for various forms of color-blindness. As far as I know, and I could be wrong, this never existed in older games, and I don’t think this existed even in games as recent-ish as World of Warcraft.
This is progress, folks. This is fucking awesome.
This is really cool.
THIS IS REALLY COOL.
When we were kids, my brother would try to get our dad, who is green-red colorblind, to play video games with us, but sometimes he would have to quit because he literally could not see who or where the enemies were.
Think of all the kids and adults who couldn’t play before. Think of the possibilities.
one-half horror, one-half magical girl
Practicing hands on hips because yO THATS WEIRDLY HARD TO DRAW FOR ME
YO MY WARRIOR FRIEND.
THERE ARE INDEED A PLETHORA OF FOOD ITEMS MEANT TO BE CONSUMED COLD, AN EXCEPTIONAL THING IN THE RISING FURY OF SUMMER MONTHS.
SALADS ARE INDEED AN OPTION.
COLD SOUPS ARE ANOTHER FUCKING AWESOME DISH. THERE’S A METRIC SHIT-TON OF DIFFERENT KINDS. (ALL GLORY TO THE GAZPACHO)
CHILLED ONIGIRI IS ANOTHER FAVORITE OF MINE (basically balls of rice, often with ingredients in the center. I like putting canned tuna or dried berries in mine. Plain is also fucking good. Don’t underestimate its power.)
THERE ARE SOME COLD NOODLE DISHES JUST WAITING TO PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE WITH PURE MAJESTY.
REMEMBER THAT MINT AND MENTHOL MAKE HIGHLY EFFECTIVE BREATH-CHILLERS, IF YOU WANT TO COOL THAT DRAGON RAGING IN YOUR GUT. DISHES THAT CONTAIN MINT, EVEN IF THEY ARE SERVED HOT, WILL HAVE A REFRESHINGLY CHILL ‘FEEL’.
ALSO NOTE: THERE IS A REASON SPICY FOOD IS EATEN IN HOT CLIMATES. NOT ONLY DOES IT GROW EASILY IN THAT ENVIRONMENT, BUT SCIENCE SAYS EATING ‘SPICY’ THINGS WILL CAUSE YOUR OVERALL FEELING OF OVERHEATING TO DECREASE.
SO WHILE YOUR MOUTH MAY RIVAL SAURON’S SEXY EYEBALL, THE REST OF YOU CAN CHILL WITH THE LOTHLORIEN ELVES LIKE THE CLASSY MOTHERFUCKER I KNOW YOU ARE.
I have two otp settings
- gross adorable married couples who love each other endlessly
- toxic, horrid relationships awful for both people but they can’t let go
Gradually, I become an adult everyday.
OH before I go to bed I should convey to you all the weirdest fact I learned today
I learned that when a caterpillar is metamorphosing into a butterfly within the cocoon, it is not, as I previously assumed, slowly growing wings and little antennae and whatever else. If we open a cocoon, apparently what we find is that the caterpillar has actually dissolved into a shapeless goo, from which the butterfly will be formed.
From which the butterfly is formed.
You can, of course, go the philosophical route with this: are they, then, the same creature, pre- and post- this complete reconstitution of the self? If the very brain, the nervous system, has been completely reassembled, how do we identify this as in any way the same?
So here’s the kicker.
Apparently one scientist figured he’d test this out by training a bunch of caterpillars to react negatively to a specific scent, which they would normally not react negatively to. This was all done prior to the cocoon stage.
And these butterflies. These post-goo, completely remade selves? They reacted negatively to the scent, too.
here’s the source for that
EXCELLENT THANK YOU
If you’ve ever heard my rants about vaccination, you know it’s a major topic with me. Because hey, I’m one of these immunosuppressed people this comic talks about, so it’s a bit of a sensitive subject. (“Oh, I’m sorry, you don’t like getting vaccinated? I don’t like having three month long respiratory infections because you gave me the freaking flu, but I guess you don’t care about that”)
Essentially, Ellen and her wonderful character Katherine have just said it better than I ever could—and using Shaun of the Dead references, too!!! It’s all about herd immunity—getting vaccinated isn’t just about your own health, it’s about the health—and non-zombification—of the entire human race.
SO REBLOG THIS!! LIKE THIS!!! SPREAD IT LIKE WILDFIRE!!!!!
SO, in response to one of the threads on here saying that you’re NOT supposed to bleed the first time you have sex, allow me to tell you what kind of bullshit that is and then explain what you should and shouldn’t do the first time you have sex (Because it’s very apparent that many people on…
The ultimate dress shape vocabulary
More Visual Glossaries (for Her): Backpacks / Bags / Bra Types / Hats / Belt knots / Coats / Collars / Darts / Dress Silhouettes / Eyeglass frames / Eyeliner Strokes / Hangers / Harem Pants / Heels / Nail shapes / Necklaces / Necklines / Puffy Sleeves / Shoes / Shorts / Silhouettes / Skirts / Tartans / Vintage Hats / Waistlines / Wool